Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Diagonal Granny Stripe Afghan Tutorial

This is the start of my diagonal granny stripe afghan.  I started it back in the fall, and I ended up putting it away when the Christmas decorations came out.



This toss pillow was my inspiration piece, and I pulled yarn colors to go with it.  I used Simply Soft yarn because we have a cat, and this yarn is pretty inexpensive and seems to hold up well when used.  It also doesn't have a dye lot and comes in a lot of colors, so I can buy some, start a project, and go back to the store for more if needed.



Here are a couple of other samples I made:


Here is my Diagonal Granny Stripe Afghan Tutorial:

I used Simply Soft Worsted weight yarn and an I hook.  Since this yarn has no dye lot, I start with one skein of each color and if needed I may buy a second skein.  

Chain 4 and join into a loop.



Chain 4 and turn.



Do three double crochets (double crochet cluster) in the loop.



Chain 1.  Double crochet into loop.   One diagonal row completed. I know it's a little hard to see it now, but stay with me.


Chain 4 and turn.


Do 3 double crochets in the same space.


Chain 1.  Do 3 double crochets in space.


Chain 1.  Double crochet in same space.  Row 2 completed.



Chain 4 and turn.  Continue making sure to put your double crochet cluster in the same space at the beginning and end of each row until we start to decrease.

NOTE:  This afghan will form a square, so when the length of one side measures what you want then begin to decrease.



I've done 10 rows increasing just for this tutorial.  Your afghan will be much larger.


Decrease:  Chain 4 and turn.



DO NOT put a cluster in that first space.  Put the double crochet cluster in the next space and continue across the row.



End the row by doing chain 1, double crochet in the last space.


Chain 4 and turn.  Again DO NOT put the double crochet in that first space.  Double crochet in the next space and continue across the row.



End the row with chain 1, double crochet in the last space.  Chain 4 and turn.

IMG_4499.JPG

Keep going until you are back to the corner of the afghan.  You end by doing chain 4, double crochet in the middle space.  Chain 1, double crochet.  (I didn't get a photo of the last chain 1 DC, but you can see it in the next photo.)  Tie the yarn off.



Here is my sample square.  I think the afghan will need some kind of a border around the edge.  I haven't finished my afghan yet so I'm not sure what I'll use.

FullSizeRender.jpg

 Please send feedback or questions.  lakrug@comcast.net     Please include your email if you have a question.  I try to take lots of photos to help explain my directions so let me know if something isn't clear.

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

I hope you are finding some time to stitch today!

25 comments:

  1. Hi! I am just starting to teach myself to crochet and found you on pinterest. Very helpful. Don't stop blogging because your pictures and information are truly helpful. I will definitely have questions in the future. Just learning the granny stitch. Thanks Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole Thanks for your nice comment. I hope you find my tutorials helpful. I love to crochet and hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
    2. Oh I have just slip in here the way you do u crochet pattern is so well explained thank I'm going to do it in couple wks awesome xxxchris new zealand

      Delete
  2. This looks quite complex but the effect is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the end, you don't specify where that last DC goes. Same space or next space. I am not there yet so I may see it when I get there! Love this pattern. Will you add border directions when you decide what to use? Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. Adding it to my long To Do List. Thank you for showing us how to start it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your instructions are very easy to follow

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see this on here, I've been making afghans for all my grandchildren and thrilled with a new to me Afghan pattern..
    I actually used to make just the first half as a shawl many years ago and had forgotten the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to see this pattern. I've been making afghans for all my grandchildren and a new pattern is just what I needed to re-infuse my enthusiasm.. 5 made, 3 to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could this be made as a triangular shawl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why not, look at the original pic, you could make it whatever size you want - don't do any decrease rows. I'd add some sort of border to the short sides, but that would be about it. Can imagine it in a delicate yarn done with an oversize hook, that would create a lovely lacy look.

      Delete
  9. This is gorgeous. I've been looking for something different to do with all my oddments of wool, was thinking granny squares but wanted something a tad unusual, this is perfect. Thank you for the brilliant, clear instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would think this could also be made rectangular, say you want to make an afghan 36 x 40" - once your straight sides reach 36" start decreasing on one side but continue increasing on the other side, until the longer side is 40", then decrease both sides as per this pattern. What say you all? Do you think this would work?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is similar to the corner to corner afghans. When crocheting the corner to corner blanket you decrease one side & keep working the other until it is the size you want so I think that will work for this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is similar to the corner to corner afghans. When crocheting the corner to corner blanket you decrease one side & keep working the other until it is the size you want so I think that will work for this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is there a way to print the directions without the pictures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the end of the post, there is a Print PDF button. At the top of PDF, there are 3 short lines. Click that, and you can remove the images.

      Delete
  14. Is there any way to print this successfully?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for posting this pattern. When you finished were your eight initial skeins enough for your blanket? What size did it end up? Am thinking about making a blanket with only two or three colors so I want to have an idea of dimensions. Thanks again so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this looks like so much fun!!! my next afghan will be this pattern thank you so much for sharing your creativity

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't get mine to look right. The last corner always looks bigger and longer than the others.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just found this pattern. Someone saved it on Pinterest. Corner to corner diagonal crocheting is one of my favorites to do and I can't wait to try this pattern. Your instructions are very easy to follow and, just like most crocheters, I have an ample stash of yarn to use. I don't have any questions now, but may have as I progress. Thank you so much and I will definitely look for and keep up with your blog page.


    ReplyDelete

Print This Post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10